Friday, March 22, 2013

Early Morning on Palm Sunday......



“What is the journey before me?”  
“How will I journey?” 
“What will happen?”  
“Will God really be with me?” 

I imagine these questions moving powerfully through the whole of Jesus’ being as he sat upon the colt, atop the Mount of Olives, looking down upon the city of Jerusalem below.

I think we sometimes forget that as Jesus sat astride the colt, and began his descent into Jerusalem, that he did not know exactly what was going to happen.  Jesus was riding into the thickness of the unknown, and it was an unknown filled with an atmosphere of oppression and fear and anger and injustice.  What was to be?

I invite us this Holy Week to “unknow” the Passion Story, and so to experience it anew, particularly as it resonates with our own lives. This is an important invitation, because it helps us to enter into the very depths of the story, so that it may again surprise us and shock us and astound us, and as it does so, open us ever more deeply to the tremendous truth and power of the Paschal Mystery, the truth and power of God’s love.

May you know the gift of some spaciousness of time and prayer this Holy Week, and may your Holy Week journey be blessed by being touched with the depth of the love of God, as, perhaps, you ask some of these same questions in your life------ “What is the journey before me?”  “How will I journey?”  “What will happen?”  “Will God really be with me?”

May the blessings of Holy Week nurture in you the transformative and sustaining mysteries of resurrection life.

With much love,
Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment