Friday, December 21, 2012

Being the Light of Christ for Those in Darkness

My Brothers and Sisters,

As we continue to mourn and to be deeply perplexed and troubled by the last week's tragedy in Connecticut, I share with you this clip I came across through the PBS Newshour:


As more details emerge about Friday's Connecticut school shooting, thousands of Americans found comfort in the following touching image and quote from the late Fred Rogers:
Photo by Jim Judkis
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of 'disaster,' I remember my mother's words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers -- so many caring people in this world."

My Brothers and Sisters, may we seek, with the gift of God's empowering grace, to be those helping and caring people in this world.  May we seek, in other words, to be the light of Christ to and with all the world.

I see the light of Christ in you.

With love and prayers,
Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment