Thursday, July 19, 2012

Hurry Up and Stop!


 Jesus with some Fans... Taking a Moment to chat with some really well-dressed little kids. 

(They look like they are in Scotland or something... How strange).


Quiet and stopping....

 So easy to forget about these two "inactivities."  All of us get busy very quickly- especially folks with families or other people of any sort who depend on us daily. From waking until sleeping, so often we are scheduled for every minute.

Jesus was a really unscheduled dude!

One of my favorite scenes in the Gospels is the one in which little children come running up to him.  I imagine that it came at the end of a long day- his robe grimy with the dust of the town, little street urchins running up all around him, probably begging for alms or food.  His disciples shoo them away like so many pests… One of the guys says something like, “Yeshua, we have to find someplace to sleep tonight before it gets dark… We just don’t have time for this nonsense!! ” Jesus stops, though,  and asks one of the little children her name…. Gives some of them whatever food or money he has…. He squats down to talk with them- these nobodies… He stops in the middle of a busy day! 
Jesus didn’t have a schedule, other than the weekly rhythm of Sabbath that was central to the life of all Jewish people. Given how we are so time obsessed, it is kind of surprising (and not a little bit funny) that we never read about any of the apostles keeping a calendar. In fact, in the few instances where he is challenged with a “We don’t have time for this!” from one of his people, he often  answers them with a rebuke.

In the Gospels, Jesus is someone who knows how  to stop. He naps (Luke 8:23, Mark 4:37-38). He takes time off  (Matthew 12:22-23, Luke 6:12-13, Mark 6:30-32.) Jesus even hides on occasion during a stressful time  (Mark 7:24). Jesus, by today’s standards, might even be considered to be quite the slacker!

I was reminded of how essential stopping and being quiet with God is just this week. I was at the church all alone and for some reason, I found myself sitting in the second row of the nave. I just sat there. My mind raced around for a while, but finally I began to breathing and saying a favorite centering prayer, “God of love, Mother of my soul, Send me your peace.” I think I might have prayed about some other things, but I am pretty sure I just sat there. Nothing hugely miraculous happened: no voices, visions or revelations. However, in the stillness a genuine presence of love and peace settled upon me. (God, perhaps??)

All the rest of this week, that time has anchored me and drawn me back to silence and stopping at different times of the day and in the midst of my busyness. Once I remember to stop and be quiet, I am reminded of how natural, life-giving and all present our Living God really is. (The only trouble is, until I actually get to “the quiet place,” it seems like the hardest thing in the world to do!)

I encourage you to find your quiet place right now. Take 5 minutes- go for a short walk, stare out the window, or just remember to breathe in and out as you are driving along. Try a centering prayer that is keyed to your breath.  (For some good suggestions, visit http://www.kyrie.com/cp/  or www.contemplativeoutreach.org )

As you have success or failure with your quiet time, stopping and/or centering prayer, share them with someone else. (If anything, come and talk to me about it- I would love to learn how you are doing with this practice). I pray that you find time to “stop” and take in the love our God has for you!

As always, I love you and am praying for you


Father Tim+

No comments:

Post a Comment